When starting to make a knotted necklace using a nylon thread you need to harden the ends of the thread so it is easy to thread through beads. You then have the option to cut the harden ends in a point (like a needle). You can do this with Super Glue, Nail Polish or Henrietta’s Gum Arabic.Advantages of Henrietta’s Gum Arabic are;
- Odourless, non-toxic & water-soluble
- It is easy to wash away from hand
- It makes the use of tools and beads easy
- Only takes 15 minutes to dry
- The point is not hard enough to withstand constant threading through gemstone with irregular holes.
- It has ability to wear off so you may need to reapply it
If you don’t mind using Super Glue it is the best solution but keep in mind it is toxic and only recommended for serious crafters.Advantages of Super glue are:
- Dries rock hard quickly
- Can be cut into a find point
- Very durable so it doesn’t need to be reapplied
- Need to be very careful not to get on your fingers or skin as it so strong it can glue it to items. Not for children.
- Water resistant so does not wash off
I have found the best way to apply super glue is to get a piece of paper and lay the ends on the paper. Then take the tube of super glue and carefully apply it on the ends. Make sure the ends are covered in the glue and then suspend the ends in the air (edge of table etc) for a few minutes to let it dry. Remember you need to work quickly and neatly as super glue dries quickly.
You can also use Nail Polish. I bought the cheapest top coat at the local Chemist (approx. $5) and it worked well. It does take a few hours (over night is good) for nail polish to dry really hard but when it does I find it a lot more durable and harder than the Henrietta’s Gum.
In our Beads Online Starter Kit – Knotted Tassel Necklaces I have included the Henrietta’s Gum as it is the safest and cleanest option. It also does an excellent job. There are other alternatives discussed above which also work just as well.